Friday, August 8, 2014

Japanese Lessons at the Japan Society

So, as my Japanese language classes come to a close at the Japan Society (333 E 47th St, New York, NY 10017), I wanted to take a moment to share why I decided to take classes and review my experience.

Even though I studied Japanese in college, after I left I didn't have the confidence to go into a field that would require me to predominately use Japanese.  As a result, I reached a point where I was no longer using Japanese and started to pretty much forget what I had learned. This year, I decided to take it up again for the following reasons:

  • Be in a structured learning environment with a set schedule
  • Gives me something constructive to do that uses my brain at least twice a week
  • Be able to socialize with people that have similar interests
  • Make sure my couch knows that it's not my only relationship in life
I studied Kanji II, which is a course that builds off the 300 kanji taught in Kanji I. I also took the Japanese Level 9 class as well, which was kind of like a review of all the previous Japanese Levels as it went over most of the grammar previously taught. This level ended up being a great refresher course for me.

All in all, I really enjoyed my classes at the Japan Society. Both of my teachers were really nice an knowledgable. The classes were well structured and I found the Kanji II particularly challenging because not only did we have to be able to recognize the kanji, but being able to recall it from memory to write it in sentences was a big part of this class as well. 

I think this was something I definitely needed to help get me started again and I'm really glad I made the jump to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...