Friday, August 1, 2014

Sounding Like an Intelligent Adult...In Japanese

I'm hoping that it's no secret that I'm in involved in a lifelong love/hate relationship with Japanese. To refresh, I loved Japanese so I studied really hard to take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) N2 in 2010. I took it, but I didn't pass. So for some odd reason, my brain said "give up.....but not too much".

Since then, it's been this mildly frustrating puzzle that I just can't put down but feel great when I finally piece something together. In an attempt to make Japanese an even larger part of my life again, this summer I registered for Japanese classes at the Japan Society. Unfortunately, classes do end the week of August 4th for me and as much as I hate having to go to class, I will miss the structure that it provided me as I got started again.

One of the things that I realized I needed to work on this year is the forming of more complex thoughts and sentences in Japanese in real time. I've always been a strong reader and writer since it gives me more time to sort though my thoughts, however once it comes to having to verbally express myself, I feel as though my sentences get shorter and more general than I intend them to be. I don't have issues understanding Japanese, but I just wish it were easier for me to think quickly in it!

I'm thinking that this year I will try and take the the JLPT N3. I'm slightly bummed that I will be taking a level lower than what I originally took before, however that is my fault for not continuing to study after my first set back.

I'm also going to be working on getting back into translating for fun as a way of helping me get back to where I was.

I'm always open to fun language learning ideas if anyone has them!





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...